What Millennials Can Learn From Gen Z: 5 Life Lessons I Wish We Knew Earlier
What I Have Learnt from Gen Z Being a Millennial
Every generation thinks the next one is a little too much.
Too loud.
Too sensitive.
Too casual.
Too impatient.
Too rebellious.
And maybe every younger generation looks at the older one and quietly wonders:
Why did you tolerate so much?
I am a millennial, and the more I observe Gen Z, the more I realise something uncomfortable.
We spent a lot of our lives trying to adjust.
They are spending theirs asking why they should.
And perhaps that is one of the biggest differences between us.
Before I talk about what I have learnt from them, let me explain briefly who we are talking about.
Millennials are generally the generation born roughly between the early 1980s and mid-1990s.
Gen Z came after us, roughly from the late 1990s to the early 2010s.
We grew up in two very different worlds.
Millennials still remember a childhood before smartphones, social media, instant messaging and constant internet access.
Gen Z practically grew up with technology in their hands.
We waited for things.
They search for them.
We asked elders.
They Google.
We often followed the path shown to us.
They question whether that path makes sense at all.
And that difference is visible everywhere—from work to relationships, parenting, money, careers and mental health.
Millennials Adjusted. Gen Z Questions.
Our generation was taught that adjustment was maturity.
If your boss was difficult, adjust.
If relatives interfered in your life, adjust.
If you were unhappy in a career, be grateful you had a job.
If someone crossed your boundaries, ignore it for the sake of peace.
If you were emotionally exhausted, carry on.
We were praised for tolerating things.
Gen Z seems far less interested in receiving medals for suffering.
They ask questions.
Why should I stay in a toxic workplace?
Why should I answer calls after working hours?
Why should I tolerate disrespect because someone is older than me?
Why should I follow a career I do not even like?
Sometimes, as millennials, we call them impatient.
But sometimes I wonder whether they are simply refusing to repeat what we normalised.
Parenting Is Very Different Too
Many millennials were raised with discipline first and emotions second.
Our parents loved us deeply, but many of them came from a generation where survival, responsibility and obedience were bigger priorities than emotional expression.
We were often told:
“Stop crying.”
“Don't answer back.”
“Do what elders say.”
“What will people think?”
Today, parenting conversations look different.
Gen Z and younger parents are more likely to talk about emotional regulation, consent, personal space, mental health and communication.
They question old parenting patterns.
They want children to express themselves.
They explain more.
They negotiate more.
Of course, every generation has its strengths and weaknesses.
Too much freedom without responsibility can also create problems.
But I do admire one thing.
They are willing to ask:
Just because something was done to us, does it mean we should do the same to our children?
That question alone can break generations of unhealthy patterns.
What Did We Millennials Get Wrong?
I don't think millennials did everything wrong.
We worked hard.
We adapted to enormous technological and social changes.
We were raised one way and had to survive in a completely different world.
But I do think we accepted certain things for far too long.
We confused overworking with ambition.
We confused people-pleasing with kindness.
We confused silence with respect.
We confused sacrifice with love.
We confused suffering with strength.
Many of us spent years trying to become acceptable to everyone around us.
And then Gen Z came along and said:
What if I simply don't want to?
At first, that attitude can look rude.
Then you look at it again.
And sometimes, it looks like freedom.
Here are the five biggest lessons I have personally taken from Gen Z.
Lesson One: Saying No and Setting Boundaries
This is probably my favourite Gen Z quality.
They say no.
Not always politely.
Not always perfectly.
But they say it.
Millennials often say yes first and suffer later.
We attend events we don't want to attend.
We answer calls when we are tired.
We agree to work we don't have time for.
We keep helping people who never show up for us.
And then we feel resentful and burnt out.
Gen Z seems much more comfortable saying:
“No, I can't.”
“No, I don't want to.”
“No, that doesn't work for me.”
“No, I need some space.”
For many millennials, setting a boundary feels like hurting someone.
For Gen Z, it often feels like protecting themselves.
That is a lesson worth learning.
A boundary is not disrespect.
Sometimes it is simply clarity.
Lesson Two: Spend Some Money on Yourself
Many of us were raised to save everything.
Save for a house.
Save for children.
Save for emergencies.
Save for retirement.
Save for relatives.
Save for some future version of life.
Saving is important.
Financial responsibility matters.
But somewhere in all that planning, millennials sometimes forgot to enjoy the life they were actually living.
Gen Z seems much more willing to spend on experiences, travel, hobbies, skincare, concerts, good food, clothes, gadgets or anything that adds some joy to their lives.
Sometimes we look at them and say:
“They waste too much money.”
And yes, sometimes they probably do.
But perhaps our generation went too far in the opposite direction.
Many of us postponed joy.
We kept telling ourselves:
“One day.”
One day I will travel.
One day I will buy that thing.
One day I will take a break.
One day I will enjoy myself.
But life is happening while we are saving for it.
Maybe the answer is not spending recklessly.
Maybe the answer is learning to enjoy some of what we earn without guilt.
Lesson Three: Mental Health Is Health
For many millennials, mental health was not a normal family conversation.
Anxiety was “overthinking.”
Burnout was “laziness.”
Depression was “be strong.”
Therapy was something people whispered about.
Emotional exhaustion was simply part of adulthood.
Gen Z talks about mental health far more openly.
They talk about therapy.
Trauma.
Burnout.
Anxiety.
Emotional boundaries.
Toxic relationships.
Self-care.
Sometimes these words may be overused on social media.
But I would still rather live in a generation that talks too much about mental health than one that pretends it does not exist.
Gen Z has taught us that taking care of your mind is not weakness.
And asking for help should not be shameful.
That is progress.
Lesson Four: They Are Smarter and Cooler Than We Give Them Credit For
We often joke about Gen Z.
Their slang.
Their fashion.
Their short attention spans.
Their obsession with social media.
But they are also incredibly fast learners.
They know how to find information.
They learn skills online.
They build businesses from phones.
They create content.
They understand digital tools naturally.
They learn from YouTube, podcasts, online communities and courses.
Things that took us years to discover are often available to them within minutes.
They may not always know traditional ways of doing things.
But they know how to find alternatives.
And they are far less intimidated by technology.
We should probably stop making fun of them long enough to learn from them.
Lesson Five: Be a Little Rebellious
When we were growing up, rebellion had a very specific meaning.
If someone wanted to become an artist instead of an engineer, rebel.
If someone wanted to leave a stable job and start a business, rebel.
If someone married outside expectations, rebel.
If someone dressed differently, thought differently or lived differently, rebel.
Society loved one safe path.
Study.
Get a respectable job.
Marry.
Buy a house.
Raise children.
Do what everyone else is doing.
Anything outside that script created discomfort.
Gen Z seems far less interested in that script.
They choose unusual careers.
They become content creators, designers, gamers, entrepreneurs, freelancers and digital nomads.
They question marriage.
They question parenting skills.
They question teaching skills.
They question work culture.
They question traditional definitions of success.
They are willing to say:
This may be normal for you, but it doesn't have to be normal for me.
In our time, one person choosing differently was called rebellious.
Now it sometimes feels as though an entire generation is rebelling against the idea that there is only one correct way to live.
And perhaps that is not rebellion at all.
Perhaps it is simply their choice which matters.
What Millennials Can Teach Gen Z Too
This should not become another competition between generations.
Millennials have something valuable too.
We know patience.
We know what life was like before everything became instant.
We understand delayed gratification.
Many of us have strong work ethics because we were taught to keep going even when things were difficult.
We know how to function without apps solving everything for us.
And perhaps the best thing we can do is not decide which generation is better.
Maybe we should exchange strengths.
Millennials can learn boundaries from Gen Z.
Gen Z can learn patience from millennials.
We can teach them resilience.
They can teach us self-respect.
We can teach them responsibility.
They can teach us that responsibility does not require sacrificing your entire identity.
The Biggest Lesson
If there is one thing Gen Z has made me think about, it is this:
How much of my life did I live because I genuinely wanted it, and how much did I live because I was taught that I should?
That is not always an easy question.
But it is an important one.
Maybe every generation comes to teach the previous generation something.
Our parents taught us survival.
We learnt adaptation.
Gen Z is teaching us permission.
Permission to say no.
Permission to change careers.
Permission to protect our mental health.
Permission to spend on ourselves.
Permission to be different.
Permission to disappoint society once in a while.
And maybe, being a millennial, I am finally learning that being a good person does not mean being endlessly available, endlessly obedient or endlessly sacrificing.
Sometimes being a good person also means being good to yourself.
And for that lesson, I think we owe Gen Z a little credit.
Follow my blogs, so that you are never out of good reads.
Soniya
#claimyouselfagain
#Genzvsmillennials
#genz
#genaplha
#wemillennials
Comments
Post a Comment