A Letter From the Woman Who Never Gets to Say, “I’m Tired”
A Letter From the Woman Who Never Gets to Say, “I’m Tired”
Dear All,
I don't know exactly when it happened.
When I became the person who remembers everything.
The school timings.
The doctor's appointment.
The grocery list.
The birthday.
The bill that needs to be paid.
The shirt that needs ironing tomorrow.
The food someone doesn't like.
The food someone suddenly wants.
The message that needs replying.
The relative who needs checking on.
The thing my husband mentioned three days ago and has probably already forgotten.
Somehow, I remember.
I always remember.
And somehow, everyone knows that I will.
My day starts before everyone else's
The house is quiet when I wake up.
For a few minutes, nobody needs anything from me.
Then my mind starts.
Breakfast.
Lunch.
School.
Uniforms.
Bags.
Water bottles.
Who has homework?
Who has an activity today?
What needs to be bought?
What needs to be cleaned?
What did I forget yesterday?
And before my feet even touch the floor, I've already started working.
Nobody sees that part.
That's okay.
I've never really expected anyone to.
I make the breakfast.
I wake the children.
I remind them again.
And again.
And somehow, I'm negotiating socks, shoes, breakfast, homework, moods, arguments and time—all before most people have properly started their day.
Then everyone leaves.
And I finally look around the house.
There is always something waiting.
There always is.
Being a mother is more than what people see
People see me feeding my children.
They see me helping with homework.
They see me taking them to appointments.
They see me attending school events.
But motherhood isn't only what my hands do.
It's what my mind carries.
I think about whether they're eating enough.
Whether they're sleeping enough.
Whether they're happy.
Whether something is bothering them.
Whether I'm giving them enough attention.
Whether I'm being too strict.
Whether I'm being too soft.
Whether I'm doing this whole motherhood thing right.
There is always another question.
Another decision.
Another little worry.
And even when the children are asleep, my mind doesn't always sleep with them.
Because tomorrow is already waiting.
Then there is being someone's wife
I love my husband.
But sometimes I wish people understood something:
Loving someone doesn't make you tireless.
I can love my husband deeply and still be exhausted.
I can care about his day while secretly wishing someone would ask about mine.
I can listen to his problems after spending the entire day solving everyone else's.
I can support his dreams while wondering when I last had the space to think about mine.
Sometimes I don't need advice.
I don't need someone to tell me how much I manage.
I don't need to hear:
“You can handle it.”
That's exactly the problem.
Everyone knows I can handle it.
So nobody asks whether I should have to.
I became the family calendar
Somewhere along the way, I became the person everyone asks.
“Where is this?”
“When is that?”
“Did you remember?”
“Can you arrange this?”
“Can you call them?”
“Can you pick this up?”
“Can you take care of it?”
And I usually say yes.
Not because I always want to.
Because it's easier.
Because I know how to do it.
Because someone has to.
Because I've become so used to carrying things that sometimes I don't even realize how heavy they are until I finally sit down.
And even then…
I don't really sit.
I think.
The invisible work nobody notices
There are things I do that don't have a finished product.
No one sees me remembering.
No one sees me planning.
No one sees me anticipating.
No one sees the mental checklist running in the background all day.
I notice when the house is running low on something.
I remember which child needs something tomorrow.
I know which appointment needs to be booked.
I think about what everyone will eat.
I notice when someone isn't themselves.
I remember what everyone likes.
I solve problems before they become problems.
And perhaps that's why nobody notices.
When you prevent the problem, nobody knows there was ever a problem.
Sometimes I want someone else to notice
Not because I want applause.
Not because I need a medal.
Not because I want everyone to tell me how amazing I am.
I just want someone to notice.
Notice that I've been awake since early morning.
Notice that I haven't eaten properly.
Notice that I've been answering everyone.
Notice that I've been holding everything together.
Notice that I haven't had five quiet minutes.
Notice that sometimes I am smiling because everyone needs me to smile.
Notice that sometimes I am quiet because I don't have the energy to explain.
Notice me.
Not just what I do.
Me.
And then someone says, “You're so strong.”
Please don't.
I know you mean it kindly.
I know it's supposed to be a compliment.
But sometimes those words feel like another responsibility.
You're so strong.
So I suppose I should keep going.
You're so strong.
So I suppose I shouldn't complain.
You're so strong.
So I suppose you don't need help.
But what if I don't want to be strong today?
What if I want to be looked after?
What if I want someone else to make the decision?
What if I want to sit down without thinking about what needs to happen next?
What if I want to say:
“I can't do this today.”
Without feeling guilty?
I'm not asking you to do everything for me
I don't want to be rescued.
I don't want everyone to stop living their lives and revolve around me.
I don't want to be treated like I'm incapable.
I just want partnership.
I want someone to look around and see what needs doing without waiting for me to make a list.
I want someone to notice the overflowing laundry basket.
The empty fridge.
The tired face.
The unanswered messages.
The mental load.
I want someone to occasionally say:
“Don't worry about it. I'll take care of this.”
And actually mean it.
I want permission to be tired
Maybe that's the part I struggle with most.
I've become so accustomed to being dependable that being vulnerable feels like I'm letting someone down.
But I'm learning something.
Being tired doesn't mean I'm weak.
Needing help doesn't mean I'm incapable.
Wanting a break doesn't mean I don't love my family.
Wanting time for myself doesn't make me selfish.
And saying “I can't today” doesn't erase all the days when I could.
I'm human.
That's all.
Just human.
Tomorrow, I'll probably do it again
Tomorrow morning, I'll probably wake up before everyone else.
I'll make breakfast.
I'll find the missing shoe.
I'll remind someone about homework.
I'll answer the message.
I'll make the appointment.
I'll prepare the meal.
I'll listen.
I'll organise.
I'll solve.
I'll love.
Because that's who I am.
But maybe things can change a little.
Maybe I don't have to carry everything silently.
Maybe I can say when I'm struggling.
Maybe I can ask for help before I'm completely exhausted.
Maybe the people I love can learn to look beyond what I do for them.
Maybe they can learn to see me.
So, dear family…
I'm not asking you to call me strong.
I'm asking you to notice when I'm tired.
I'm not asking you to praise everything I do.
I'm asking you to sometimes take something off my plate.
I'm not asking you to understand every thought in my head.
I'm asking you to ask.
“How are you really doing?”
And if I finally say:
“I'm tired.”
Please don't tell me,
“But you're so strong.”
Just sit beside me.
Take my hand.
Take one thing off my list.
Let the house be imperfect for a while.
Let tomorrow wait.
And let me be tired.
Because I have spent so many years being everything for everyone…
I think I deserve a moment to simply be me.
Claim You Again — a gentle place to land.
Comments
Post a Comment